In order to alleviate our substitute teacher shortage, the District has made some changes with respect to substitute teachers.
Effective the 1998-99 school year, The Commission on Teacher Credentialing has approved the addition of two (2) new types of emergency substitute permits. Please read through these new regulations and pass this information on to anyone who may qualify for one of these new permits.
Emergency Career Substitute Teaching Permit:
This permit is designed for individuals who elect to substitute teach year after year rather than have a classroom of their own. This permit is valid for one calendar year and authorizes the holder to substitute teach for up to sixty (60) days for any one teacher during the course of the school year rather than the thirty days allowed under the Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit.
- bachelors or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- verification by the employer of one of the following:
- three consecutive years of at least ninety (90) days per year of day-to-day substitute teaching in the California school district requesting the permit immediately preceding the date of application; or,
- if the county office of education is responsible for the assignment of day-to-day substitutes for all of their school districts, three consecutive years of at least ninety (90) days per year of day-to-day substitute teaching accumulated from one or more California school districts in the county requesting the permit immediately preceding the date of application;
- statement of endorsement from the superintendent of the employing agency,
- verification from the employing agency that staff development activities offered to their regular teaching staff are available to the permit holder; and,
- application, current application fee and, if applicable, fingerprint cards and fees.
Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers:
This permit is designed to encourage capable students to substitute teach while enrolled as seniors in a college or university and to consider teaching as a profession by giving them first hand experience in the schools. This permit is valid for one calendar year and authorizes the holder to substitute teacher up to ninety (90) days maximum during the year of the permits validity; but for no more than thirty days for one teacher.
If you have any questions or desire additional information, please contact Mary Helen Donez at 631-4861 or Fran Catlett at 631-4866.